Dunklin county was formed in 1845 and Kennett was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a one and a half story hewn gum logs structure built by Hiram Langdon in 1847. The courthouse was destroyed during the Civil War.
The second courthouse was a two-story frame structure built in 1870 which burned in April 1872.
From April 1872 until 1892, the third courthouse was a rented a-frame building on the south side of the square.
The fourth courthouse was a two-story brick structure designed by Louis Miller and constructed by Shinnick and Robinson of St. Louis in 1892 at a cost of $15,000.
The fifth and present courthouse was constructed between1937 and 1940 at a cost of $178,000.